Saturday, March 17, 2007

Job well done...

Today, I have a job interview. Being in a creative field (music), having even gone to school for it (seems anomalous, I know); I feel very, very awkward. I know most graduates in college have a degree of insecurity, but I often feel most music/artsy people are hanging out on a limb.

Most of my friends (myself included) search for teaching jobs or try to find ourselves some kind of 9-5 job. Because at least then,the money will come in to live, we will feel some kind of self sufficiency and/or we will not feel like lazy citizens that do our countries no service!

I had an internship once. Two internships. Now this, whether it turns out to be a good experience or not, is something I recommend. This has gotten me every music related contact I might ever have. With internships, you are often doing very monotonous, rote, data-ish work. This is something you should expect.
The first one showed me all the work that goes on behind the scenes of promoting an artist, and I learned a lot. The second one, I learned nothing at all and was just a receptionist.

After that, I taught music.


So now it seems logical that I have two venues open for me: Music teaching, or the music industry. I wish it was more common for musicians to be able to make a living (a REAL living, not just a hobby) making music. Composing, performing solo, in ensembles, in bands. Not just some Hollywood dream. I don't want actual melodious music to become just a side thought.

Is it possible? This is something I strive to find out.

No comments: